Annual Fund FAQs
What are goals of the campaign?
- Our primary goal is to reach 100% participation level by parents, board and staff.
- The financial gap for 2016-17 is approximately $710,500 and is filled by donations and event proceeds. Historically, a large portion of that amount has been funded by a few core ski team families. We need to diversify our donor base by involving new donors, so we can set the groundwork for future financial stability for the Foundation.
What does the Annual Fund pay for?
- The Annual Fund helps to make up the difference between tuition income and actual program expense and thereby ensures the fiscal health of the entire program. Contributions directly support every athlete and staff member—including professional development, athletic equipment, staff salaries and safety training.
- The Annual Fund allows SBSTA to power a program driven by excellence at every level—from Mini and Mighty Mites to Freeride, Snow Rangers, Development, Alpine Club, Nordic and the Academy.
- AF gifts help every child in the program.
- The Annual Fund is critical in keeping tuition and fees within reach of as many families as possible and directly supports scholarships and financial aid.
Why is there a gap in revenue when ski team dues and tuition are already high? Why don't tuition/fees cover all the expenses of the program?
- Tuition and fees are set to keep them within reach of as many families as possible. We’ve done market comparisons each year in order to set fees and tuition, and they are already at the highest level we can justify.
- Our adherence to high standards—i.e. small group and/or small class sizes, character education and safety training—requires a high price tag.
- This “gap” between income (eg. tuition and dues) and actual expense is common for all quality educational programs, whether schools or teams!
Why not just increase tuition/fees?
- It's important to keep our tuition and fees comparable to other programs and accessible to a wide range of families. Unlike tuition/fees, your Annual Fund contributions are tax deductible.
Can I direct my gift?
- Typically, we ask donors not to restrict their gifts so that contributions can be directed to where the Foundation needs it most.
Does the SBA Annual Fund drive support the SBST and vice versa?
- Both the Academy and Ski Team Annual Fund drives make up the Sugar Bowl Ski Team & Academy Annual Fund supporting the programs of the entire Foundation.
Why is 100% participation in the Annual Fund so important?
- Full parent participation in the Annual Fund demonstrates the commitment of our community. It serves as a valuable benchmark to corporations, foundations, major donors, and friends, by demonstrating that those who are closest to the program are dedicated to its well-being. Therefore, all gifts, no matter what size, are very important.
Are Annual Fund gifts tax deductible?
- Sugar Bowl Ski Team & Academy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization under the Federal Internal Revenue Code. Unlike tuition/fees, all contributions to the Annual Fund are deductible pursuant to the prevailing tax laws. All donors to the Annual Fund and receive a letter noting their gift amount, date of gift, and the disclosure that no goods or services were provided.
- Sugar Bowl Ski Team & Academy Tax ID #: 94-3171879.